The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.
Demetri Martin

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Joyful Distractions

While dropping by Starbucks yesterday to meet Kim, a lovely gal looking to buy dolls for friends who are moving to Germany, I had the added pleasure of meeting and enjoying Colleen, writer of the Curtains are Open blog I wrote about here.  We owe Colleen's TSH feature post for the sale, plus two additional custom orders for Kim and Colleen that I will tell you about later.  (Teaser - there will be belly buttons!)

As well, I had the delight of finding a new crafty book that I had not previously discovered: Yarn Harlot by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, a wonderful Canadian blogger you can also enjoy here


Anyone read this?  I started it last night and it is pretty captivating and quite funny.  I'm not a knitter but as a sewer I can certainly relate to the trials, infatuations and obsessions associated with craft that Stephanie details. 

The very fact that I've started to read this book is surprising, although it has nothing to do with the book itself.  The surprising part is that I've also recently begun a new Hugh MacLennan book, Voices in Time that has proven very enjoyable.


And you all know how I feel about Hugh MacLennan' s writing, so I will not torment you with yet another diatribe regarding his literary greatness.  And no, I haven't forgotten my promise to share my renewed insights pertaining to The Watch that Ends the Night, reading number... 10?  It's all locked away and will be
 released to you once I relocate it in my memory.   
I've read about half of MacLennan's fictional work but Voices in Time is a virgin experience for me.  This was the last book he published before his death and is claimed by many Canadian literary scholars to be his best work.  If this were a credible blog, I would probably go so far as to offer up citations to that effect, but who are we kidding?  Either way, this book is beyond enticing and I'm so eager to see where it will take me in my mind (what's left of it at the end of the day, anyway). 

Hence, it is considerably surprising that I even allowed myself to look at another book in my present state of joyful distraction. 

I gotta get a hold of myself.  How much intrigue can one simple little mind withstand?? 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails