The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.
Demetri Martin

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Behind the Brush :: Commissions

On occasion, people have presented me an idea, concept, or color scheme, commissioning me to paint for them. I always feel flattered, nervous and excited. I love to paint, and commissioned work is a great opportunity to paint large pieces without the personal investment.

This three canvas painting was one of the first commissioned pieces I ever painted. A friend, who recently purhcased a new home wanted a large piece with Japanese flair. He wanted it to look like it was a section from a much larger painting, like part of a puzzle.


Inspired by love creating new life, this piece was painted with no brushes, just my fingers and acrylic paint. I love the way acrylic paint moves and dries on a canvas.

A few years ago, my friend Heather and her husband Pat started a Realty company, Plumbline Realty. Both Christians, Heather and Pat wanted a painting for their board room that reflected their "upright" name.

This next piece was a particular challenge. Not because of the painting, but because of the space it was going to fill. The person commissioning this piece had a narrow wall that connected two rooms, that had a light switch in the middle of it. Presented with a decorating obstacle, she wanted a piece to help make the rooms look larger and connected, needing something to camouflage the light switch placed dead center on the wall. This piece helped give the illusion of a wider space and connected the color schemes for the two room.

1 comment:

Andrea on Third Street said...

Wow, Sonia! I hadn't seen some of these pictures before they went to their buyers, I'd only heard you describe them. I love them all! Well done!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails